Practical and research course using tools for mask work and everything that is defined as Commedia dell’Arte. The aim of the course is to reinvent and rediscover a concrete pragmatics of the actor and professional training by exploring techniques, poetics, visions and suggestions that have captured the creativity and imagination of authors, painters, musicians and directors active between the 19th and the 20th centuries such as Gian Pietro Lucini, Pietro Mascagni, Jacques Copeau, Alexander Blok, Elena Guro, Nikolai Evreinov, Vsevolod Meyerhold, Paul Cézanne, Pablo Picasso, Gino Severini, Ferruccio Busoni, Arnold Schönberg and Igor Stravinsky.
The course is held in two separate sessions (summer and winter); the summer session will focus on exploring the stock characters of the Zanni (servants), the Vecchi (the Old men), the Capitani (the Captains) and the Innamorati (the Lovers); the winter session will focus on exploring the stock characters of Pulcinella, Arlecchino, Brighella and Colombina.
At the start of each session, students will receive a complimentary handcrafted leather mask to wear for their interpretation and composition work. There will be an Open Class at the end of each session of the Higher Education Course: Contemporary Commedia dell’Arte Workshop.
You are free to enroll in either one or both sessions.
Copeau, Mejerchol’d, Dullin, Barrault, Feldenkrais, Pagneux.
Specialisation Certificate in Commedia dell’Arte.
- Admissions policy and procedure winter session 2022
- Application form winter session 2022
- About programme winter session 2022
- Admissions policy and procedures summer session 2023
- Application form summer session 2023
- About programme summer session 2023
• Mime; Acting; Commedia dell’Arte Masks
• Functional and Artistic Vocality, Feldenkrais Method; Eurythmics;
• Theatrical Fencing
• Commedia dell’Arte Dramaturgy
• Historical Elements of Commedia dell’Arte
• Theater as a profession: Cultural Policies and territorial organization of live entertainment
- Schedule and location
Winter Session: 7 – 19 November 2022, two weeks, seven hours per day.
Naples, Church of San Severo al Pendino, 286 via Duomo; about a 5 minute walk from the Duomo Metro stop (Line 1) and a 25-minute walk from the Montesanto Metro stop (Line 2).
Summer session: 25 July-6 August 2023, two weeks, six hours per day.
Naples, Trianon Viviani Theatre, 9 Piazza Calende Square; about a 10 minute walk from the Università and Garibaldi Metro stop (Line 1).